Sunday, September 7, 2008

Breaking News

Well, today didn't go quite as planned. My dream of toiling amongst the asparagus all day was diverted when my wife had an accident dashing up the stairs this morning. She's generally bumping into things, stubbing toes, walking into walls, and breaking glasses, so I didn't take much notice to the banging sound, cries of agony, and subsequent hobbling around.

A while later when she still couldn't really walk on her foot, she decided it was time to go get it checked out. The result: broken foot. Bummer for her, and me too since I'm now dutifully waiting on her hand and, um, foot. She's getting a cast put on tomorrow, and the doc says it'll be 2 months before she'll be 100% again. Fortunately the pain has subsided because she was quite uncomfortable for the majority of the day.

On a side note, have you ever been to an orthopedic clinic on a Sunday afternoon? As I understand it, the various clinics around here rotate around who gets stuck working on Sunday, and even though I didn't imagine there would be THAT many people breaking themselves, the place was jammed. And since there was only one doctor on hand, it was slow. So the waiting room was full of all these people silently suffering, letting out gasps of pain now and then, muttering about how long it was taking, gingerly cradling their limp, swollen wrists, or gimping up to the counter on fractured legs to fill out forms. I've never been in a waiting so full of pain. I'm pretty sure I was the only non-miserable one in the place.

Once we got Chieko home and immobilized, I did manage finish up the yard work I had been looking forward too. All I have to do now is a bit of fine tuning and leaf raking, then figure out what to do with all this weedless space I've uncovered. And I know the weeds will be back, but it can't be anything like what it was before.

Time to go check on my patient. Be careful everyone!!

8 comments:

barbara said...

poor chieko
xoxo

Anonymous said...

Oh no~!!
2 months??!! That's crazy! Well, I should watch out since I am not that careful either.
Odaijini, Chieko-san!

Casey said...

what about me? nobody's worried about me? i have to take of her, and do all the 'woman's' work now too...jeeze

barbara said...

poor casey
xoxo

Casey said...

thank you...

Anonymous said...

What do you mean by "woman's work"?? You better be careful with all the girls who read your blog. ;)

Casey said...

oh i think you know just what i mean :-)

Anonymous said...

What?
Bearing and breastfeeding babies is the only "woman's work" I know. You are not doing that, are you? :P