Apologies for the lack of action around here lately. Work has been pretty action packed which doesn't leave much time for blogging and, more crucially, much time for anything interesting to happen. There are a lot of cool places around here that I look forward to exploring and photographing, I just haven't had time yet.
What I've been attacking lately is our yard. When we came back from the States it was totally overgrown, jungle-esque, and quite an eyesore. I was by no means the tallest thing standing among the weeds. Last weekend I managed to get all of the big stuff, then yesterday I set about pulling the smaller weeds. I uncovered a whole mess of strawberry plants which should be nice next spring. Then there's the problem of the asparagus. I love asparagus and we have very unruly asparagus plants standing about four feet tall that I'm not sure exactly what to do with. I like to not kill them, but they clearly can't remain as they are. I'm thinking I'm just going to clip them close the ground and hope for the best. Other than that, we'll be starting a garden from scratch next year.
Here's a picture taken before I set to work:

Here is the current state of affairs:

We have a narrow strip of yard that runs along the back of the house which I will work on today. Yesterday I exterminated all of the monstrous spiders that had set up shop there, today I'll take care of all the other undesirables.
So that's all of the (non)news from here. I'll once again make the hollow promise of more frequent updates here. Things are poised to mellow out at work so I should have a bit more time. Hope everyone's enjoying your weekend.
2 comments:
I *think* if you cut it back, it will grow back... we had some asparagus growing in our front yard (weird... I know... it's not easy to grow on the cape) and I actually didn't want it there... but it kept coming back. It was sort of a pain to get rid of... so I think you can cut it. It's amazing how tall it gets!
thanks kate...for better or worse, it's cut now..we'll see what happens next year...it does get huge, and thick...the grasshoppers seem to like hanging out on/in it
Post a Comment