Sunday, May 17, 2009

Take Licking, Keep Ticking?

Our young garden has been getting hammered by powerful wind gusts and periodic micro-bursts of rain for the last 24 hours, but there is no visible damage as yet. Fortunately I put in poles and tied our seedling up yesterday, just in time apparently. Nothing is blatantly broken, but our plants certainly deserve some sun and calm tomorrow, which they are forecast to get. Hopefully everything will be no worse for the wear.



I went out to do a little additional reinforcing this afternoon between rain storms, and saw an old lady in the garden behind our place. I greeted her and she asked me if I needed any flowers. I said sure, and she lopped a few off for me. I thanked her and was about to walk away when she told me I needed a some more, of a different kind. So I took those and was about to walk away when she moved on to the next flowering bush and liberated a few more blossoms from it. We ended up with a nice little bouquet.



I'm exhausted after a nice evening of beer and food at a friend's place, and tomorrow is Monday. Damn you, work.

2 comments:

Patty said...

the garden looks good. The pink flowers are peonies, I think (one of my favorites, but not native to the South)

Casey said...

thanks patty...i've never done this before so i have no basis to judge the health of our plants, but they were pretty battered after yesterday...good weeding conditions today though after all the rain ;-)