Are those brown spots on the tomato leaves OK? Is this torrential rain going to kill everything? Why are there so many ants on the green pepper plants? Shouldn't we water something? Despite the fact I know far less about the process of having a child than I do about gardening (which isn't much), these are the questions that occupy my mind.
The unthinkable happened on Thursday night when a hideous wind raged all night long, and in the morning it was carnage for breakfast. One corn plant slumped over at a 90 degree angel; a cucumber plant, replanted just a day before, was in the same situation. I'm afraid the cuke is a lost cause, but am holding out hope for the corn. So this morning I salvaged an extra long chopstick from the kitchen and set to work trying to bring it back from the edge.
I did a fair bit of tinkering in the yard today, including some weeding in between the strawberry plants, which always makes me want to just rip them all out of the ground and plant something less crowded. They aren't even that good. I also did some hedge trimming and spider exterminating. I feel really bad about killing the spiders, but seeing a nest of thousands of baby spiders, coupled with visions from last summer's web of death that was our yard, has made me a bit ruthless. I fully respect and appreciate the good things that spiders do, and take comfort in the notion that despite my efforts, our yard will most likely be filled with the bastards again this year.
In the evening I ventured out on a bike ride. Here are a few random pictures. Enjoy the weekend.
5 comments:
that first picture is kinda creepy.... it looks to me like some bearded person is screaming behind a veil of some sort. and a surprised jack o' lantern to the left of him. do you see it?
what?
Interesting, Dr. Freud! You should adopt a more Buddhist attitude toward the garden. It will be what it will be. (is that Buddhist?)
The pictures are great--no I dont' see it, Barbara.
well, now that we have some tomotoes showing up and things don't seem to be living more than dying, i'm mellowing out...
i guess i mean the second picture
Post a Comment