Friday, October 3, 2008

So Soon?

I'm not really complaining here, because there's tasty beer involved, but why is that here I am on October 3rd drinking 'winter' beer?



This is a slight peeve of mine here in Japan. They're slowly catching on to the world of micro-brews and seasonal beers here, but there's a lot of work left to be done in regards to timing. The fall beers come out at the end of August, and now that we're actually starting to get into fall in terms of weather/leaves changing/chilly nights, there's not a can of the stuff to be found. And of course, the winter brew will most likely be gone before the first snow falls.

But like I said, I'm not really complaining. The beer is good and it's a nice change from the norm, which itself is pretty damn good. Unlike American seasonal beers, which can be a bit overpowering flavor-wise, Japanese seasonal beers are much more subtle. When I think of winter beer I think of spicy, nutmeggy, cinammony concoctions that are good in small doses. The Japanese winter beer is basically just a slightly heavier version of the regular beer here. They aren't big on the holiday season here as we know it in the west, and everything about Japan is subtle, first and foremost the flavors of food and drink. So the Japanese winter beer is more geared towards keeping you warm through these moderately chilly fall months, not conjuring up images of Christmas trees or herbal goodness. So I'll enjoy the winter beer while I can. I'm not sure what I'll drink when winter actually arrives, but we'll cross that bridge when we get to it.

So I'm happy because I've got good, albeit it a bit premature, beer. The other thing that's making me happy, aside from the fact that it's Friday, is that this arrived in the mail tonight:



After some research and reassurance from people I trust, I finally sprung on a zoom lens for my camera. After some wavering I opted for a Canon ES 28-200mm lens, if that means anything to you. The long and the short of it is that I'll be able to take much nicer pictures of all those pretty mountains and waves than I've been able to take thus far. I played around with it a bit tonight, but taking pictures indoors with a telephoto lens is kind of like driving your BMW M3 around a parking lot. I look forward to getting out and about and zoom the hell out of some far away things.

And lastly, I have to mention that I am down to the last few hours of life in my 20's. Tomorrow I will turn 30 years old. I'm not sure if this is a significant moment or not. Well, I know it's not, but it has caused me a bit of pause to reflect on my life so far. Nevertheless, I associate my 20's with my youth, and while I've been a fully functioning adult for some time now, 30 feels like there is no looking back. I'm a total believer in the notion that age really is a state of mind, insomuch as all our vital organs are still functioning. But damn, 30?

It's funny to look back though, where I was when I turned 20, and where I find myself today. Ten years is not even a drop in the bucket in the grand scheme, but a hell of a lot can happen in that time. It certainly has to me. If I can grow as a person in the next ten years as I have in the past ten, and do and see as much, I will be an even happier dude. And who knows? Maybe by that time Japan will get their beer calendar sorted out and I'll be able to enjoy a fall beer on my birthday.

Enjoy your weekend, and hopefully I'll have some nice zoomy pictures up here in the meantime.

7 comments:

barbara said...

wait a minute!!! 30??? how can that be?..... we are the same age now.

happy birthday
xo

Casey said...

i thought you were only 28?

barbara said...

oh.. and why can't you buy a case or 2 of that beer and store in your giant house... save it for winter??

barbara said...

sorry, that was me calling you so late. i thought you were still online

xo

Casey said...

i must have been out like a light because i didn't hear the phone ringing

Kent Matsueda said...

Nice lens! How fast is it (smallest f-stop)? It'll be nice to see even more pix with your new set-up.

Casey said...

3.5 - 5.6 ... yeah i've done just a bit of playing around with it and i like the possibilities