Saturday, September 13, 2008

Phase One: Complete (Mostly)

We're basking in the midst of a three day weekend which is coming at a nice time since work was very hectic this week, and will be again next week once we start up again. Chieko got a spiffy cast put on her foot this morning is now able to hobble around the house crutch free, which is good for her.

I've been plugging away at the yard during weekends, and today finally finished up about as much as I'm going to do until we actually plant a garden next year. Last weekend I was able to tackle the treacherous, spider infested strip of yard that lies between the sun room at the back of the house and a hedge at the back of our property. Here are some before/after pics.




I mentioned evicting the resident spiders who had strung their webs between the house and the hedge. Well, they all congregated next to the hedge, and that's the one small patch of yard that I will let go until the spring. Mostly because it now looks like this:



I figure I'll let the spiders live out their days there until the winter, when I presume they'll die. Though they are rather huge and bionic looking so who's to say. I remember one of these spiders had a web at school and it hung on well into the winter months a year or two ago.

I'll have to contend with them at some point though because there is a small patch of various herbs under their web, I assume from the last people who lived in the house. I'd like to harvest them before they die and see if I can do something with them.

I'm sure I'll find something to tinker with concerning the yard, even though the major work is done. It's so nice to actually have a yard to play around in though, albeit one that is basically made of dirt at this point. It's a lot more fun and productive than farting around on the internet, which wastes a lot of my time usually.

I'm about to head out for a karaoke session tonight, but other than that we don't have any major plans for the remainder of the weekend. Red Sox and Patriots games will be seen, that much is for sure. I'm off to sing.

4 comments:

Roxie said...

ahh.. spiders and karaoke - makes me nostalgic for japan!

sing some pat benatar for me!

Casey said...

we actually didn't end up making it to karaoke...so pat will have t wait until next time...

Anonymous said...

sounds like you still have that love/hate relationship with spiders. ;)

Casey said...

it's more of a morbid curiosity...