
My friend Sheryl came into my office this afternoon to point out a crow that was dismembering another bird across the parking lot. Yet another reason I NEED a telephoto lens. What good is this fancy camera if I can't use it to photograph a crow eating another bird from 100 yards away out my office window??? Exactly.
Anyway, you see that picture down below? What's that look like to you? Brains, right? Sigh. I only wish I could say my wife was eating brains tonight.

But no, this was a special night as my wonderful, beautiful, Japanese, very different from me wife, dined on the semen bags of a fish. And I suppose in part that's why I married her, and why I wanted to live in a foreign country in the first place. There are only so many times in one's life when you can say to your wife or lover, at the dinner table, 'Baby, you've got some sperm on your lip.'
I am obligated to add a disclaimer here: I AM NOT MAKING FUN OF MY WIFE AND/OR HER CULTURE, ALTHOUGH I WILL MOST LIKELY GO TO MY GRAVE HAVING NEVER EATEN FISH SPERM. I AM A PICKY EATER, AND ANY ANIMAL PRODUCT THAT DOES NOT COME IN THE FORM OF A BREAST, STEAK, SAUSAGE, BACON, OR CHICKEN EGG, IS GENERALLY NOT COOL WITH ME. I'M SURE IT'S MY LOSS.
My wife is concerned that I showcase the sometimes odd (in my obtuse opinion) cuisine that she's partial to in an effort to demean or poke fun at Japan, which is not at all the case. If anything, it's to show how weak the American stomach (at least THIS American stomach) is when it comes to animal consumption. In fact, as I've mentioned before, I'm envious of the fact that Japan, among more countries than not, waist virtually no part of the animal being consumed. That said, I still can't bring myself to eat a lot of the 'delicacies' here in Japan.
I suppose it's poignant that I'm sitting here listening to WEEI sports radio from Boston, and a Dunkin Donuts commercial just advertised this:

Yep, those are M&M's.
So we've got a four day weekend going on here, starting tonight, which I am eternally thankful for. Mentally, I've thrown in the towel on this term of teaching. We've got about a month left of classes, and while I will by all means continue putting forth my maximum effort, I've got no expectations of connecting with this batch of students. It's partly them, partly me. The thing that bugs me is that there are good students in my classes, but they are overshadowed by the apathetic, lazy, rude ones. Even as I tailor my efforts towards those students who genuinely care, the rest of the bastards have already stolen my soul. Teach and learn.
Enjoy yourselves wherever you are.
Note: Upon spell checking I was mildly shocked to see that I had spelled Celsius wrong, but I actually got Fahrenheit right. Swore it would've been the other way around.
6 comments:
hahahahhahaha, I have a pretty strong American stomach, but I couldn't do (on more than one level) fish sperm.
i know...i've expanded my horizons in terms of food since i've been here, but not that much...
heh, you said "FORM OF A BREAST"
totally wonder-twin powers
did you ever get into the shirako when you were here kent?
America runs on Dunkin Donuts, or so says the ads on the tv here. Mmmmmm donuts.
they should look into expanding their empire then...i remember travelling across country i didn't get too far west before dunkins disappeared...and i hate to admit it, but when i've had their coffee recently it hasn't done that much for me...weeeeeeeeaaaaaaak...that said, it is one of those nostalgic things that lets me know i'm home...(but i'll take green mountain coffee over d&d's any day)...mr. donuts is still going strong here in japan...no dunkins to speak of...
Post a Comment