Kanazawa has been nutty this week in the weather department. We've been on about a 20 minute rain/sleet/thunder/sun cycle here (still no snow). This results in a sky that generally has ominously dark clouds on one part, and blue skies in another (I saw two rainbows today). Couple that with the rising sun and it's quite a surreal atmosphere, especially out my office window at 7:30 in the morning, when I don't have nearly enough coffee in me.

Yesterday I had my English workshop at school. This is something we have to do every other term or so, and my number was up. I mentioned on the old blog that I was planning to dress up like Bob Dylan, play some tunes on the guitar, and have students interview me/Bob. Then my life went insane and I never had the necessary time to accumulate a proper Dylan costume, plan the lesson, practice the songs, etc. So I ended up going with a tried and true poetry writing activity that I've used with success in the past, though Dylan WILL make an appearance at a future workshop.
The workshop was only an hour, though we stretched it out a bit because it turned out some of the guys either really loved making their poems, or were really slow. Or both. I had them write poems about themselves, describing their personality and appearance, their loves, fears, wants, needs, desires and such. Then I set them loose on a pile of construction paper, scissors, and glue, so they could create a representative piece of art on which to showcase their poems.
They followed the directions to varying extents and displayed a range of artistic ability. And while I couldn't help check the trash can outside of class when I left, I was happy that no one had ditched their poems after they left (at least not in that trash can). Some of the more successful efforts:


And then there was this guy. I'm not sure what the hell he was doing the entire hour, because it couldn't have taken him that long to make this. Poignant.

OK, off to bed for me.
2 comments:
I was looking at those mountains on my way to work! They were gorgeous, I was wishing I had my camera. I even thought, maybe Casey will get some shots of this crazy weather. Glad you did. Can I get a copy?
Katya
always carry your camera:-) i'll mail you a copy...
Post a Comment