Sunday, December 30, 2007

Miscalculation

One would assume after nearly four years of living in Japan that I would have the time difference between here and America pretty well figured out, even given the periodic changes brought about by daylight savings. And in most instances I do, but not this morning.

I was looking forward to watching the Patriots/Giants game this morning, and so it was that I found myself awake at 6 a.m. anxiously tinkering with the Slingbox, wondering why I was stuck watching motocross and not football. It was only after a phone call to my parents, to make sure all things Slingbox were in order on their end, that I came to realize I had a good four hours to go before the game would come on.

So what does a guy do when he's already got a cup of coffee in him at 6:30 in the morning, with hours to go until kickoff, and a stiff wind blowing outside? Take a drive down to the beach, of course. If the wind was blowing hard here at our apartment, several miles inland, it was positively howling down at the seashore. Stepping around a dune that had previously sheltered me, I was jarred by a blast of sand and salt. I gingerly made my way down to the waterline, at least as close as I wanted to get to it. The sea was very high today, and very messy. I snapped a few pictures before calling it an abbreviated photo shoot. The elements weren't the problem so much for me, but that I was concerned about gunking up my camera with all the sand and salt. Judging by how crusty my glasses had become in just a few minutes, the effects on my camera couldn't have been good.

So I've returned back home, brewed a fresh pot of coffee, and I've whittled those four hours down to about 45 minutes. My ailing wife is still in bed. We ended up going to the doctor yesterday, who determined that, while she doesn't have the flu, he's not exactly sure what she has. They hooked her up to an I.V. for about an hour, after which she felt better, but started feeling crappy again late last night. She's thinking of heading back to the doc today to get re-hydrated again, and then I suppose we'll reassess our plans to head off to her parent's house. Here are some pictures from my trip down to the beach this morning.





Go Patriots!!

3 comments:

markmcc said...

dude, thanks for the comments, i must have to switch my settings, cause they didn't get sent to my email, but as to your commments, I took down the words, poetry cause i felt self conscious about them, i will put them back per your comment. THANKS!!!

HAPPY NEW YEARS TO YOU AND CHIEKO!!!

markmcc said...

Awesome game, a bunch of us went over Dappa's house to watch it last night: simulcast on his big screen and his new 42"LCD. After the game, he and i watched YouTube videos full screen on the LCD, he's got it hooked up to his computer with a wireless mouse and keyboard. Needless to say, he's YouTubing out right now.

Hope Cheiko feels better, tell her I said wassabi.

Casey said...

happy new year to you to mark...that was a better game than i had expected...