We got our first wave of veggies in the ground today just ahead of some showers. We still have one vacant bed, and will try to fill it this weekend with some cucumbers and perhaps some cherry tomatoes. I was hoping to plant some onions and carrots but I don't think we have enough room. We also want to get some planters for herbs. Our yard is already becoming overgrown with weeds. I say buy a cheap weedwacker but Chieko is opposed to that idea. I sort of see where she's coming from but I really don't like pulling weeds, especially when there's a wonderful machine that would take care of them in about 1/1000th of the time.
The real miracle here will be if the neighborhood kids can avoid killing our vegetables with their basketball. I don't know if the game they play specifically entails hitting either our car or the side of our house with the ball as much as possible, but I have serious fears that I'll come back from work one day with flattened corn stalks or snapped green pepper plants. Fingers crossed.
Blah. Back to work tomorrow.
2 comments:
We could debate the merits of planting corn vs., say, carrots, but I'll let that one go. However, a weed wacker wacks weeds. This is not the same as pulling them up. It is like pruning them, making them stronger. If you just want them shorter, that's fine, but if you hope to eradicate them, pull them by hand after a good rain. Yes, it's really hard work, but very satisfying.
i've been meaning to respond to your comment for days now, and have started to twice only to be sidetracked by something...anyway, thanks for the advice...we actually did some post-rain weeding this afternoon and while i hesitate to call it satisfying, it was easier than normal...
i'd be content to just keep the weed in the yard cut down low, and i have no illusions of ever eradicating the weeds around here, so we compromised and bought a weed scraper thing that scrapes the soil and cuts the weeds from below (though i doubt it gets the roots)...so, we'll see how that works...
Post a Comment