Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Collecting Dust

Kanazawa is failing miserably at winter.



The snow around the house is long gone, and even the mountains are gradually returning to brown after several days of rain and warmer temperatures. This blows.

Many will call me crazy, but when it's winter, I want winter weather. I'm from the northeast US, where winter is the real deal. Cold, dark, days. It should not rain in February. Anything that falls our of the sky should be frozen. I look at the weather forecasts of northern Japan with envy.

If we were in a climate that is warm year-round, or at least never even flirted with the idea of snow, it wouldn't be so bad. But Kanazawa is tantalizingly close to having a real winter; the snow covered (not for long?) mountains outside the window are a sure sign. But it rarely ever really gets below freezing here, and when it does it's only by a few degrees. The resulting drear is always wet and just warm enough to rain. A degree colder and things would be much prettier. This is the kind of weather that gives you a cold and then nourishes it, so it stays with you for a good long time. So it rains in February.

2 comments:

barbara said...

snowing here.... come here

Patty said...

and around here, they usually predict snow a couple of times a year. But then it doesn't materialize. I guess they are erring on the side of caution. If it did snow, everything would shut down. No plows, drivers that don't know what they're doing. But I'm with you...I would like to see it at least once or tiwce a winter.