Saturday, June 21, 2008

Lather Me Up!!

I bought some soap tonight, and if that's not worth a blog post then I really am wasting my time here.



The bigger news of the night is that today Chieko and I are celebrating our 2 year wedding anniversary. If anyone is confused by that, considering we just had a wedding in November, we were actually, physically, legally married at the Nonoichi city hall on this day 2 years ago. You can relive the day by clicking HERE, and remember the days when I was fat and didn't use punctuation.

We celebrated (speaking of being fat) by going out to a damn fine French restaurant. We'd never been there before, and we may not be back again for a while considering what it cost, but it was tasty.

There was a semi-awkward moment during dinner when one of the seemingly 20 different waiters came to our table to deliver bread or something, and I looked up to see **shock** a fellow gaijin-sama. We had a few awkward words in English, only to establish that I was from America and he was from France, and spent the rest of the evening communicating in Japanese. It was weird. I think he must have gotten unnerved by me or something because when he brought us our corn soup he initially introduced it as 'kuruma' soup, which would be car soup.

Later on he jumped on the piano and belted out happy birthday to the young lady who was dining/flirting with a man at least twice her age. It was that kind of night. Happy anniversary to us!!

3 comments:

Eenie said...

I used to hate the awkward words with fellow white people!

I usually resent this website for making me feel like a douche bag but this post is too good to pass up: http://stuffwhitepeoplelike.com/2008/02/20/71-being-the-only-white-person-around/

Casey said...

yes there's always the decision whether to acknowledge or not acknowledge the fellow foreigner in japan...do you go right out and say hello, or simply make eye contact or nod, or just walk on by...i usually wait and see what the other person does...if they ignore me i ignore them, etc...i think this is the first time i've ever had a foreign (western)... waiter though...was interesting

barbara said...

happy anniversary casey and chieko

love
mom
oxoxox