Sunday, April 13, 2008

Can You Think of a Good Title for This Post?

I had a pretty interesting dream last night. The first thing I can remember happening in this dream is that I bought a $350,000 Ferrari that was being delivered to our apartment on a flatbed truck. It was smooth, though I never got a chance to drive it. After going inside for something, I went back out to find that my new car was GONE!!

I headed back towards the front door to call the police or something, and it was at about this time that a bunch of students were walking past our apartment. This is a pretty regular occurrence in real life actually, since Chieko and I live quite close to the school and there are a lot of student apartments nearby.

I went inside to tell Chieko about the situation with, um, our new car, when suddenly a bunch students start knocking on the front door. They had their books with them and wanted to come in and ask Chieko and I questions about their English course. Mind you, not questions about English per se, but about school policy kind of crap.

For her part, Chieko welcomed them in and tended to their questions. I, on the other hand, split time snarling at the growing number of students in our kitchen about 'respecting our privacy,' and interrogating our neighbors about my car. I woke up before I had either a Ferrari or an empty kitchen.

I'm not sure what part of my psyche the Ferrari came from, but the student deal is pretty easy to figure out, since we did just start up classes again on Thursday, and there are indeed a bunch of dazed and confused students meandering about. So far my classes are exceeding my expectations, which might not be saying much since after the last term any concept of expectation I had was beaten, drawn, quartered, and had it's corpse dragged through the streets of Nonoichi. But anyway, so far so good, knock on wood and all that.

This term I've decided that one component of my students' grades will be based on their sending me email every week. And though I'm sure this will prove to be fertile ground in terms of great, goofy English, so far I'm marvelling more at their e-mail address. I'm not sure where they pick up the totally random bits of English that their addresses contain, but they are interesting.

A few examples:

vieu2-of-sky.dream-come-true@...
---reincarnation---@...
tinker-village@...
peach_blossoms_dear@...
i_love_megane@... (megane = glasses)

I've only received mail from about a quarter of the students so far, so there will most definitely be more of these coming down the pipeline.

OK, I'm exhausted. Time to go find that Ferrari...

3 comments:

markmcc said...

Maybe the Ferrari is a metaphor for your quest to be the best teacher you can be. Losing it, is akin to your desire raise keep raising the bar.

I would title it:

<"Ferrari, why have you forsaken me?" b>

Anonymous said...

It's all about the privacy issue. Your car was stolen and your house was invaded by students!
Well, I guess you complain even in your dreams. I would title it
"Dreamin' & Bitchin'"
What? you miss me? Yeah, I know. ;)

Casey said...

i didn't mention that in the past two weeks, i've had two dreams featuring britney spears as well...mark, thank you for your very constructive analysis compared with hyun joo's typical shxt talking...