Saturday, February 16, 2008

Shot In The Dark

There's a clever double meaning in that title friends, since I took the following pictures both at night, and with no real understanding of how to use my camera in the dark. But I recently bought myself a sweet $15 tripod, and since it's dumping snow outside, I figured what better time to test it out. So I fashioned a raincoat for my camera, slipped on my boots, and headed out the door.

I think I under estimated the amount of light that's needed when taking pictures at night, especially since there is so much artificial light in the area where I was taking pictures. Had it not been snowing so hard and gunking up my lens, I would have stayed out to tinker a bit longer. But given the conditions, I ended up with some overexposed, though not totally disasterous, wonderful snowy pictures.

In un-Kanazawa fashion, the weather has remained constant, and the snow has continued for several hours without interuption. I'm digging the snowy evening atmosphere and am happy that it's accumulating for once.

Here's our neighborhood train pulling into the station behind our apartment. It's not actually going the speed of light, and in fact is a rinky-dink 2 car affair that I've yet to understand the usefulness of.



All the bikes in front of the station. Someone's ass will be cold.



And our local swingset, looking snowy.



I also took some daylight pictures today, from where else but the beach. I was pretty fired up on way there as I could see the ominous clouds rolling in, and nothing gets me going like weather! I trudged around on the beach for a little while looking for any interesting garbage that might have washed ashore, to no avail. You can see the snow rolling in off the water, and it started about five minutes after I took these pictures. It hasn't stopped since.




In the 'did you know' department, did you know that Japanese snowmen are made of only two snowballs, as opposed to the three that we are accustomed to in America? I'm sure the obnoxious children who live next door will build several of them tomorrow, and I'll take some pictures to prove my point (about the snowmen, not the children). So whether or not it's snowing where you are, hope you are cozy, warm, and enjoying the weekend. I'm going to peak out the back door again and stare at the snow now.

5 comments:

JS said...

Nice pix. Very crisp images.

I never really realized just how much snow y'all get in Japan.

barbara said...

shades is thinking of okinawa, (did i spell that right?)

barbara said...

hi casey,
i thought you should know that the black on green is hard to read. ok?
love
mom
xoxoxo

Kent Matsueda said...

A tripod for $15? I'm surprised that would even buy you a "(mono) pod". What a great steal. Great shots, keep shooting away.

Casey said...

thanks shades...yeah, the western side of japan gets a lot of snow, especially a bit north of where we live, they really get hammered

yes you spelled okinawa right mom...you're the first one to say it's difficult to read, but you are my mother, so i suppose i'll have to consider doing something about it...are you wearing your glasses? :-)

kent, it was a steal at 100man volt...though after using it i realized it's probably not worth much more than i paid for it...not the sturdiest thing in the world but it'll work...