The snow here is not light. There's no champaign powder here. It's all laden with the water it sucked up off of the ocean on it's way here. The weather then slams into the mountains, and there it sits while every drop of frozen precipitation is squeezed out of it. And thus, it's been snowing heavily for three days, and it's not going stop any time soon.
So it was an opportune time to jump back on a snowboard for the first time in nearly 4 years. Lots of padding for the falls, though fortunately there weren't many. The mountain we went to is just a 5 minute drive from the house here, and while it's a very small affair, it certainly served it's purpose today.
I mentioned before about snowboards being really expensive here and that I may just rent this season. That's what I did today, and while the board I rented was comical, it served it's purpose so I can't complain. I will say that the place I rented from had quite an interesting array of boards to choose from, including some stuff that I remember drooling over back when I was in high school.


Things are winding down here at the Iguchi farm. Most have retired for the night after a boisterous few hours of karaoke singing on the family TV. It's quite an experience to spend a few days surrounded by children aged around 6, 3, and less than a year.
Chieko and I are heading back to Kanazawa tomorrow, most likely in the snow. We'll have a few days to relinquish our lives, and then it's back to the grind.
2 comments:
Glad to hear you're riding again! It might not have been great for driving, but the snow looks like a skier's dream!
I'm sorry, but I had to laugh at your account of your return to Kanazawa. I'm just glad you guys didn't wreck.
thanks kent...yeah i can't believe it's been almost 4 years since i've been on a board...did ok though...must do it again soon
Post a Comment