Thursday, December 13, 2007

Pinch Me

I'm still alive. At least I think I am, though I'm feeling quite a bit zomby-ish these days, so who can really tell.

The only thing going on at the moment is work, and I don't like to talk about work all that much here because I don't imagine it makes very interesting reading, and it would probably just be asking for trouble if I did. And thus, the recent silence.

I'm concentrating on blasting my way through the next week, at which point things are (I really hope) poised to settle down. And even if they don't, in two weeks we have a New Years break, during which I plan to sleep, refocus, sleep some more, play some guitar, drink some beer, refocus, and sleep a little more.

By the way, it's STILL raining here. I've been hoping for some snow recently because I want to get out and do some snowboarding this year. When I lived in Vermont I would get out relatively frequently, so it's hard to believe that I haven't been in nearly four years. Hopefully it's like riding a bicycle.

I went to look at new snowboards last weekend, and was blown away by the prices. I seem to remember getting into a new board/binding setup for about $500 back in the States; not cheap, but certainly not absurd. So I was taken aback when a similar rig was pushing $900 here. Think I might have to rent this year until I find a more sane deal.

OK, lame, but that's all I've got this evening. I've taken a vow to be unconsious before midnight tonight, the sooner the better. Hopefuly back soon with some pics and far more stimulating words. One more day...one more day.

5 comments:

JS said...

What, no ebay-japan?

JS said...

Oh, and as a purist, I'd like to see snow boards outlawed in the US. Don't people realize that it's us skiers that own the slopes, not surfer and skate boarders.

Casey said...

yeah, ebay/yahoo auctions is my next stop..one of my coworker's boyfriend works at a snowboard shop and i thought he might be able to hook me up, but no such luck...
as to your other statement, 3/4 of ski resorts would probably go out of business if they banned snowboarders, since most of those operations are clinging to life anyway...then what would all you purists be doing?;-) (disclaimer: i pulled that estimation out of my ass, but there are a lot of snowboarders out there)

JS said...

Yeah, I don't really mind the snowboarders. I just have to rant about them to show my age. I first tried snowboarding when I was 18 back in the late 80's. The first board I tried was like surfing on a 2x4. That was about it for snowboarding for me. I was also in the ski club so I was kind of bias toward skiing.

But I agree with your factious estimate about the ski resorts. I think many do rely on the snow boarders otherwise they wouldn't try to cater to them as much as they do today. I can still remember skiing at at Loon Mt and the snowboarders getting a rough time trying to ride the lifts. Back then they were far and few.

Casey said...

the first couple of times on a snowboard were pretty painful for me as well...it still seems like when you go down on a snowboard, you go down hard...there's no real 'good' way to catch an edge...i've had a couple of instances when skiers gave me crap for being a snowboarder on the slopes, but i've always been contientious and the attitude of these people showed they were the ones who were the real jerks...there's pleanty of room on the slopes for everyone...